As an older adult, you’re faced with a growing number of health needs and concerns. Whether it’s changes in your body as you age or medications you’re taking for health issues you already have, there can be lots to keep track of and lots of questions, too. That’s why we created the Mount Carmel Center for Geriatrics.
It’s a consultation clinic, for adults age 65 and older, dedicated to preserving health and vitality. We’re here to provide you with specialized medical care, support, resources and education. That’s because the Center for Geriatrics serves as a bridge to other Mount Carmel services commonly utilized by seniors, including home health, podiatry, diet and nutrition, hospice care, optometry, ophthalmology and rehabilitation. Moreover, because the center is operated through Mount Carmel’s Internal Medicine Residency Program, it also allows us to do research and improve physician training in geriatrics for future generations.
Who Is Appropriate for Our Center
Adults age 65 and older, who are experiencing the following issues:
- Memory loss
- Loss of independence / trouble performing daily tasks independently
- Impaired vision or driving concerns
- Skin breakdown / decubitus ulcers
- Unintentional weight loss / malnutrition / trouble eating
- Advanced care planning
- Caregiver stress
- Multiple hospital / ER admissions
- Hearing problems
What We Do
Your experience at the center starts with a focused medical assessment by our board-certified geriatrician and a medical resident. That assessment, which is covered by Medicare and most other medical insurances, may include an evaluation of any psychological or cognitive issues that are concerning you. You will then meet with a licensed social worker to discuss issues most relevant to your medical situation. Our social workers are trained to assist you with a wide array of services, from medication assistance, insurance, living wills, support groups and respite care, to driving assessments and alternate housing.
Based on your pre-screen questionnaire, we may also recommend an additional evaluation by one of our credentialed experts in:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech & Swallow Therapies
How It Works
- Call the Center for Geriatrics at 614-234-9822 to request an evaluation.
- A pre-screen questionnaire will be mailed to you. Once returned to us, we’ll call you to schedule your appointments(s). Depending on the number of services you need, you may have appointments over several days.
- Following completion of your evaluations, a summary letter with any recommendations will be sent to your family doctor.
What Should You Bring?
- Medical insurance card
- Any assistive living devices (walker, cane, etc.)
- Family member or friend who’s familiar with your health
Location, Hours & Directions
Mount Carmel West
Mount Carmel Center for Geriatrics
793 West State Street
Columbus, Ohio 43222
Call for more information.
Mount Carmel West is located west of downtown Columbus, just north of I-70 and west of SR 315.