Mount Carmel Hospice is a program designed to provide quality care for individuals with life-limiting illnesses and their families. Our interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, social workers, aides, chaplains and counselors works together to provide comfort and care to our hospice patients with an emphasis on quality of life. The success of the program also depends on dedicated, trained volunteers.
Among the volunteer opportunities available with Mount Carmel Hospice are:
- Administrative Volunteers, who assist the office staff at Mount Carmel Hospice/Evergreen Center by helping with filing, data entry, mailings and cards to families.
- Speaker's Bureau, who are specially trained to do community presentations and outreach to help educate others about hospice services.
- Evergreen Volunteers, who are trained to facilitate support groups for grieving children, teens and adults.
- Home Hospice Volunteers, who provide respite for our caregivers, companionship to our patients and help with day-to-day tasks.
- Palliative Care Volunteers, who serve patients and their families in our Palliative Care Units at Mount Carmel East, West and St. Ann's.
- Therapy Dog Teams, who visit our patients/families upon request. Teams are comprised of hospice-trained volunteer handlers and their own licensed therapy dogs.
Mount Carmel Hospice volunteers share a number of key qualities in common, including emotional maturity and confidence; a genuine desire to support patients and their families; the ability to offer assurance and kindness, without judgment; the ability to listen with sensitivity and respect; a willingness to give a time commitment of two to four hours per week on average; and flexibility to adapt to changes in the patient's/family's needs. All volunteers also are required to complete a core training program and participate in ongoing in-service education and support.
If you are interested in sharing your time and talents with our hospice patients and their families, please complete the Hospice Volunteer Application form online.