Mount Carmel Interpreting Services offers a wide variety of services to address the needs of American Sign Language (ASL) and Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients, family and staff throughout the Mount Carmel Health System and central Ohio, primarily focusing on the needs of residents and visitors to Franklin County and the greater Columbus area.
Our Interpreters service patients in many hospitals, private physician offices, clinics, rehab services offices, MRI/CT Centers, specialized service offices, eye care and dental offices, and urgent cares, among other medically related treatment centers throughout Franklin, Fairfield, and Delaware Counties of Ohio. Some of those locations include:
- Mount Carmel East
- Mount Carmel West
- Mount Carmel New Albany
- Mount Carmel St. Ann’s
- Diley Ridge Medical Center
- Green Street Surgery Center
The competency of our interpreters are tested before hire and we make available to our staff many training and educational opportunities throughout the year. We have recently developed a program to have our staff retested every fi ve years for language and medical terminology competency as well as being tested on the Ethics of Interpreting and the rules and standard procedures that govern the Interpreting profession.
We offer services through our department such as:
- In person/on site interpreting services for LEP patients, staff, and families in 15 languages and dialects as well as ASL.
- Video Interpreting Services through departmental staff in Spanish, Somali, and American Sign Language.
- Translation Services for Spanish, Somali, Russian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Hindi, Arabic, and Vietnamese.
- Telephone Interpreting Services through departmental staff in Spanish, Somali, Russian, Amharic, and Arabic.
- Consultation, in-services, and advice on federal, state, and local standards and requirements regarding LEP and ASL patients and families.
- Additional telephonic interpreting services for other languages not offered by our staff through outside telephone language line companies.
It is our goal to provide accurate, timely, and efficient services to those in need in a professional, competent, and caring manner. Our staff are trained and tested for medical competency, ethical standards, and are caring individuals that know and understand the position that many LEP and ASL patients find themselves in when entering a medical facility for treatment.
To find out more, to request service, seek information, help, or guidance, please call Mount Carmel Interpreting Services Department at 614-546-3333.