Plan a Category 1 CME Activity
Your role as a physician planner of a CME-accredited activity is vital to the success of the activity and serves to facilitate compliance with Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA) regulations. The following information outlines your responsibilities as a physician planner of a Mount Carmel CME activity and explains what is necessary to obtain category 1 hours.
Physician Planners must:
- Document objective needs assessment sources, using evidence-based research references or regulatory agency requirements, as a minimum standard. The process used to identify needs must be documented and attached to the CME Activity Planning Form. (Visit Forms to view/print a CME Activity Planning Form.)
At least one other form of objective needs assessment documentation is required and may include quality assurance recommendations, performance or process improvement data, patient care audits, a sample survey of prospective participants, clinical department meeting minutes, new advances in knowledge, and new techniques and equipment.
- Disclose any financial relationships occurring within the past 12 months that are related directly or indirectly to the content of the activity over which you have control. (Visit Forms to view/print Faculty and Planning Committee Member Full Disclosure Form)
- Recommend faculty members, planners, and presenters.
- Determine explicit objectives. (See How to Write Learning Objectives.) A Physician Planner must write educational objectives and communicate them to the speaker(s).
- Select the appropriate educational design (lecture format, workshop, etc.).
- Plan and oversee development of content.
- Review content to ensure objectivity, balance, and rigor; to avoid duplication of information; and to verify that all decisions were made without the control of a commercial interest. (Visit Forms to view/print Planning Committee Disclosure Form)
- Identify potential conflicts of interest for resolution.
- Ensure that practice and patient care recommendations are based on best available evidence-based research.
- Submit CME Activity Planning Form to the CME Manager or CME Program Administrator(s) for placement on the CME Committee meeting agenda. The CME Activity Planning Form must be received two months prior to the date of activity and must be signed by the Department Chairman or CDC Chair, Director of Medical Education, and CME Manager. The planning form must include dates, topics, speakers, objectives and budget information. Please determine whether or not honoraria and travel will be paid. Consider whether or not commercial support will be received and whether or not a subsidy will be requested from the CME Committee. The Office of CME will assist in the solicitation of commercial support for outside speaker expenses and will handle the paperwork necessary to comply with the Standards for Commercial Support.
- Attend a CME Committee meeting and present the proposed activity to the committee. Physician Planners are required to present activity details to the CME Committee. If you are unable to present the application, you may ask an appropriate representative to present the application to the committee in your place.
- After the activity is held, return completed evaluation forms and sign-in sheets to the CME Manager or CME Program Administrators.