One of our program’s strengths is our series of conferences. Time for these didactics is protected time, free from clinical duties to ensure residents get a good balance between clinical experience and more structured lectures.
- Traditional, case-based presentation of an unknown patient
- Focuses on a few key learning points, supported with evidence from the literature
- Interactive and informal
- Interactive, open-ended question format to encourage discussion of the assigned MKSAP reading
- Excellent preparation for board exams
Primary Care Conference, Grand Rounds, and Critical Care grand rounds also take place monthly
- Comprehensive lecture series presented by our teaching subspecialists on an 18 month cycle
- Includes Geriatric and Primary Care lecture series
- Brings together all of Mt. Carmel’s residencies to learn about topics common to all the programs.
- Includes a research curriculum targeted toward PGY-1
- Monthly critical review of a recent pertinent article.
- Fosters critical thinking and allows PGY-3 residents to lead discussion on articles of interest.
Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- Occurs monthly with General Medicine and ICU teams and periodically combined with Surgery teams.
- Competency-based examination of care with learning points from an individual to a system-wide perspective