At Mount Carmel, accomplishing our mission means providing healthcare not only to the patients at our central Ohio hospitals and health centers, but also to the host of underserved members of our community who have limited access to basic health services and little or no ability to pay for them.
Mount Carmel Outreach is a department that extends our reach into the community and helps provide free health services to those in need. Among the services the program provides are physical exams, diagnoses and treatments, health assessments and screenings, health education, referrals and social service assistance, including:
- Home visits for children from birth to three years of age through our Early Start program
- Free nursing visits to first-time and teen moms through our Welcome Home program
- Free healthcare and immunizations at more than a dozen sites throughout central Ohio through our traveling Outreach Coach
- Free door-to-door immunizations in five Columbus-area neighborhoods
- Health stations in two local community churches
- Support groups for victims of crime, children who have lost a parent, and patients with chronic debilitating diseases
- Care for those with life-limiting illnesses
The program brings comfort and hope to more than 40,000 central Ohioans each year, and is as considerable a benefit to the community as it is to the patients and families it serves.
Last year alone the benefit Mount Carmel provided to central Ohioans through free health services, outreach programs and other initiatives exceeded $55 million. That's nearly double the tax-exempt benefit we receive as a not-for-profit organization, and, we believe, a valuable investment in the health of our community.
To learn more about Mount Carmel Outreach programs, download our community benefit report.