Mount Carmel Health System

Because of You

Print    Email
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)

History

1886

Mother M. Angela and Sister M. Rufina Dunn, of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross of Notre Dame, Indiana, turn a sturdy four-story red brick building -- with two wards, eighteen private rooms, an operating room, and an amphitheater -- into Hawkes Hospital of Mount Carmel.

Mother M. Angela helped bring Mount Carmel to life.



In its earliest days, St. Ann's Infant Asylum opened its doors to care for orphaned "little ones."



In 1950, St. Ann's expanded its maternity and gynecological services.



The view of Mount Carmel East shows the new 233-bed facility shortly after it was built in 1972.



The view of the Siegel Center upon opening in 1993.



Mount Carmel East



Mount Carmel West



Mount Carmel St. Ann's



Mount Carmel St. Ann's Maternity Pavilion opened in 2003.



Mount Carmel New Albany Surgical Hospital

1903

Mount Carmel School of Nursing begins offering students "all that science and intellect can afford." It is the first in the United States to be nationally accredited.

1908

The Sisters of St. Francis open St. Ann's Infant Asylum, at Bryden Road and Rose Avenue (now Kelton Avenue), to protect and care for orphaned infants and unwed mothers.

The Sisters of Mount Carmel purchase a 140-acre plot east of Hawkes Hospital -- complete with cows, horses, chickens, hogs, and farm implements -- as a farm and recreational center.

1920

St. Ann's Infant Asylum becomes St. Ann's Hospital for Women and begins providing maternity care. This year, 230 children were born there -- 90 more than in 1919.

1950

St. Ann's Hospital for Women is remodeled to offer expanded maternity services and gynecological care in response to a decrease in home deliveries.

1951

A Department of Medicine and General Surgery is opened at St. Ann's.

1972

The culmination of five years' work, Mount Carmel East is opened on the east side of Columbus. The 233-bed hospital is situated on a 140-acre "farm" purchased in 1908.

St. Ann's Hospital opens its doors to the first male patient in its 64-year history.

1975

Hawkes Hospital of Mount Carmel begins offering numerous ancillary services. To herald this event, its name is changed to Mount Carmel Medical Center.

1984

The Mount Carmel Community Service Corporation is formed to facilitate community needs in outreach, hospice, wellness, home care, and other services.

St. Ann's Hospital is relocated to its present site in Westerville, in order to meet the needs of the growing population in Columbus' northeast quadrant.

Mount Carmel Health is created, incorporating Mount Carmel Medical Center (West), Mount Carmel East, and Mount Carmel Community Service Corporation. A new logo is created and new corporate colors are chosen.

1990

Mount Carmel School of Nursing becomes Mount Carmel College of Nursing when it begins offering a Bachelor's degree in Nursing.

1993

The Bruce E. Siegel Center for Health Education is added onto Mount Carmel East Hospital, to provide a resource for community education.

1995

St. Ann's Hospital joins the Mount Carmel Health System

1999

Mount Carmel East Hospital, Mount Carmel Medical Center, and St. Ann's Hospital are renamed Mount Carmel East, Mount Carmel West, and Mount Carmel St. Ann's.

2000

Mount Carmel joins Trinity Health, the third largest Catholic healthcare system in the United States, operating or affiliated with 44 hospitals, 342 outpatient facilities, 31 long-term care facilities, 28 home healthcare offices, and 20 hospice programs.

A dedicated cancer center is opened on the Mount Carmel St. Ann's campus.

2002

Mount Carmel St. Ann's new Emergency Department opens, nearly doubling its previous size with the ability to treat up to 100,000 patients per year.

2003

Mount Carmel opens the St. Ann's Maternity Pavilion, the first comprehensive care facility of its kind in Columbus.

Mount Carmel East opens a dedicated Heart Center and a new Maternity Center to better serve the growing population of Columbus' east side.

2004

The Center for Learning and Education opens on the Mount Carmel West campus, housing a high-tech library, learning labs, meeting rooms as well as more classroom and office space for the Mount Carmel College of Nursing.

2007

New Albany Surgical Hospital joins the Mount Carmel Health System. Hospital renamed Mount Carmel New Albany Surgical Hospital.

2010

Mount Carmel partners with Fairfield Medical Center to open Diley Ridge Medical Center, the first free-standing emergency and diagnostic center in central Ohio.

2011

Mount Carmel St. Ann's holds Project GRACE ground blessing and ground breaking. The expansion will feature a new patient tower; expanded healthcare services; a new hospital front; expanded kitchen and dining facilities; and a parking garage.

2012

Mount Carmel holds ground-blessing and ground-breaking ceremony for the Mount Carmel Grove City Medical Center. Anchored by a freestanding emergency care center, it also will offer a women’s health center and a medical office building featuring physician offices, outpatient services, and a cafe and conference space that will be open for community use.
©  2014  

Mount Carmel Health System  |  Columbus, Ohio

Follow Mount Carmel on Facebook Follow Mount Carmel on Twitter Follow Mount Carmel on YouTube  Follow Mount Carmel on Pinterest Follow Mount Carmel on LinkedIn  Follow Mount Carmel on Google Plus CB