Preparing for motherhood is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming. There are many decisions and preparations to make to feel ready for the arrival of your new baby. At Mount Carmel, we understand this all too well. That's why we've developed the New Mom Planner. Just follow the checklist for each month, and once you reach your due date, you'll be ready to welcome your new baby, instead of sweating over the details.
First Three Months
- Find a doctor, if you don't already have one. For a physician referral, call 614-234-LIFE or find one online.
- Discuss diet with your nurse or dietitian.
- Discuss exercise and activity with your nurse or doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before taking any medicines, including over-the-counter medication.
- Stop smoking, stop drinking alcohol, and don't use street drugs. Mount Carmel offers a prenatal smoking cessation program. To register, call 614-234-QUIT.
- Call your insurance company to check on coverage and co-pay.
- Consider life insurance.
- Sign up for your childbirth education classes. Mount Carmel offers a wide variety of classes including childbirth preparation, breastfeeding basics, sibling classes and more. To register, call 614-898-MOMS.
- Review your employer's family leave policy.
- Identify possible names for your baby.
- Consider feeding options for your baby. To learn more, call 614-234-MILK.
- Find a pediatrician.
- Complete the pre-registration form for your hospital visit and mail it to the hospital. If you need a pre-registration form call Mount Carmel at 614-898-MOMS.
- Shop for car seat and other baby necessities.
- Think about childcare plans if you are returning to work or school.
- Prepare birth announcements.
- Prepare a Will.
- Schedule a rehearsal tour, offering an in-depth look at what to expect when you arrive at the hospital on the day you deliver. To register, call 614-898-MOMS.
- Decide on a feeding method for your baby.
- Develop a birth plan with your doctor.
- Attend your scheduled rehearsal tour.
- Make a practice trip to the hospital.
- Prepare siblings for the birth of the new baby.
- Make sure everything at home is ready for the baby.
- If you already have children, arrange for their care during your hospital stay.
- Pack your bag for the hospital.
- Decide on the baby's name.
- Learn to use the baby's car seat and practice putting it in the car.
- Follow up on childcare plans if returning to work or school.
- Bring your pediatrician's name, address and phone number to the hospital.
- Pack the freezer with some meals that can be reheated after you come home from the hospital.